MBP - Medical Biomaterial Products GmbH is a successor company of the pharmaceutical production division of VEB Lederwerk Neustadt-Glewe.
The original factory was built in 1911 by the company "Adler und Oppenheimer". After the foundation of the VEB Lederwerk "August Apfelbaum", the company developed into the leading manufacturer of pigskin in Europe at the end of the 1970s.
The decisive breakthrough in the market for medical products came on November 25, 1980, when the company began manufacturing "XENODERM", a sterile wound dressing for covering burns. In 1984, the portfolio was expanded to include the collagen fleeces Surgicoll and MB-Collagen, which have been available on the market as approved medical products since 1986.
After the plant was closed in 1994, its pharmaceutical division was taken over by MBP GmbH and built on the previous research.