Giltech, a world leader in the field of controlled delivery and biodegradable technologies, is attending MEDICA 2009. Giltech offers potential partners the opportunity to differentiate their medical products from the crowd, whilst adding value to their brand.
With 25 years of expertise, Giltech’s technologies have been used to produce pioneering and market-leading wound care products including Sorbsan® and Arglaes®. Other Giltech products in the medical sector include silverlined urology and dialysis catheters, topical woundcare powders and incise drapes.
Giltech’s CorGlaes® technology platform is based on a glass chemistry which Giltech can uniquely and individually formulate for any application. The sodium calcium phosphate glass dissolves completely and harmlessly in any aqueous environment, ideal for biodegradable implants or as a controlled delivery system.
Each customised formulation is specially created to enable precise control over the dissolution rate of CorGlaes® and when an active metal such as silver or copper is included in its manufacture it is released as an ion at the specified controlled rate.
When CorGlaes® is combined with silver ions it provides an antimicrobial barrier to infection and cross contamination and is extremely effective against Healthcare Acquired Infections (HAIs) including the superbugs MRSA and C.difficile.
Gillian Watson, Managing Director of Giltech said: “We are delighted to be attending this year’s Medica as it celebrates its 40th anniversary and we celebrate our 25th. MEDICA leads the way in the medical industry – showcasing the latest innovations, medical products and devices and highlighting key trends.
We look forward to meeting with companies from around the world and to discussing how we can work with them using our unique experience with our CorGlaes® technology to enhance their products and help satisfy the demands from their customers for high quality, safe and effective applications.”
“The potential for CorGlaes® in the medical sector is enormous and we are currently exploring opportunities across a range of areas.”
During MEDICA 2009, Giltech can be found in the Scottish Pavilion at Hall 06, Stand D30.
Giltech is a specialist co-development partner that works with customers around the globe to help differentiate their products through the creation of bespoke formulations of its biodegradable and controlled release technologies which have broad application across the medical sector.
For further information please visit www.giltech.biz
Media Contact - For further information please contact:
Anna Gormley, The BIG Partnership
Tel: 01592 643 200 or 07884 061 844
Andy Bell, The BIG Partnership
Tel: 01592 643 200
Notes to Editors
1. Based in Ayr on the west coast of Scotland, Giltech has been at the forefront of controlled delivery and biodegradable technologies since it was founded in 1984. Most notably, Giltech achieved international recognition through the successful development of Sorbsan®, a pioneering wound dressing which is still marketed throughout the world.
2. Its powerful blend of a versatile technology platform, deep technical expertise and a highly specialised manufacturing process enables Giltech to deliver a distinct competitive advantage by offering custom formulations of CorGlaes®.
3. Corglaes® is an essential ingredient in some of the world’s leading medical and healthcare products and, increasingly, is finding wider application in a diverse range of markets where product exclusivity and performance is a crucial requirement.
4. Giltech operates its own in-house development, engineering, computing and analytical facilities and manufactures its own water soluble glasses, which helps protect our intellectual property in this area and provide ongoing support to our commercial activities.
5. MEDICA is the worlds largest trade fair for the medical industry with over 4,300 exhibitors and covering 120,000 m2 in 17 exhibition halls.