Sunshine, vacations and outdoor celebrations ... for many people, summer is the perfect time to have fun with friends and family. Unfortunately, it's also a common time for injuries.
Knee scrapes, broken arms, ankle injuries open wounds all benefit fron the protection of Brown Medical Industries SEAL-TIGHT product line to make recovery as quick and complication-free as possible.
It's estimated that up to half of all children will experience a fracture at some point, and many adults will have a surgery or other medical condition that necessitates the use of a bandage at one time or another. It's important for patients to follow doctor's advice. Doing so will speed healing and ensure a healthy return to normal functioning.
If you happen to be one of the unlucky victims of a summertime bone break or surgery, take steps to make life more comfortable. Your doctor can provide you with a list of dos and don'ts, but here are a few for the cast wearing crowd, provided by the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons:
* Keep your splint or cast dry.
* Do not walk on a "walking cast" until it is completely dry and hard.
* Keep dirt, sand and powder away from the inside of your splint or cast.
* Do not pull out the padding from your splint or cast.
* Do not stick objects such as coat hangers inside the splint or cast to scratch itching skin. Do not apply powders or deodorants to itching skin. If itching persists, contact your doctor.
* Do not break off rough edges of the cast or trim the cast before asking your doctor.
* Inspect the skin around the cast. If your skin becomes red or raw around the cast, contact your doctor.
* Inspect the cast regularly. If it becomes cracked or develops soft spots, contact your doctor's office.
To make life simpler, enlist the help of friends and family for errands, allow extra time if you have crutches or need to walk slower and consider products designed to make life easier.
One such product is the Seal-Tight cast and bandage protector from Brown Medical Industries in Spirit Lake. This waterproof cast cover allows you to shower and bathe without worrying about keeping your cast dry. With no tapes or straps, SEAL-TIGHT is a great solution for patients who want to keep showering (and even swimming) during their recovery. Latex-free and with models for children as well as adults, the product is guaranteed to last the life of the cast.