Most products contain some form of substance within them at any point of the manufacturing process. Determining when your products need to be registered and at what stage can be difficult to assess.
A registration of substances in articles is obligatory for an article producer or importer only if the following conditions are met:
• The substances are intended to be released from the produced or imported article(s) during normal and reasonable foreseeable conditions of use
• The total amount of the substance present in the articles with intended releases produced and/or imported by that actor exceeds 1 ton per year per producer or importer.
Definition of an Article
An article refers to an object which during production is given a special shape, surface or design which determines its function to a greater degree than its chemical composition.
An article is composed of one or more substances or preparations. Specific substances may be added to give the article special properties, for example: furniture, clothes, vehicles, toys.
What Has to be Registered?
• Polymeric Articles: Do not need to be registered
• Polymeric Substances: Substances are present in the article that are essential to its functionality
• Polymeric Preparations: Substances are contained in the article that assist in preparation (i.e. fireworks)
Contact us for further assistance (email@example.com)
Or visit our website: www.gidos.net
(EC)REACH – What are the steps to determining an Article?